What is Giftedness?
At the Gifted Development Center (GDC), we believe that giftedness is a psychological reality. Giftedness:
- involves developmental differences in abstract reasoning, emotional sensitivity and intensity;
- is the experience of being an outsider;
- can be observed in very young children;
- can be documented on measures of general intelligence;
- is lifelong;
- creates qualitatively different life experiences;
- leads to a set of issues unique to this group, making them vulnerable;
- indicates significantly different needs from the norm;
- requires early identification, intervention and accommodations to assure healthy development.
For more about giftedness, click here.